In this article, read up on the differences and the pros and cons of using online job boards or labour hire companies to get new employees.
Online Job Boards
10 Reasons To Use A Job Board
Job boards are websites that virtually bring together recruiters looking for employees and candidates in search of jobs. There’re several reasons why both recruiters and job seekers should use job boards.
Reasons why recruiters should use job boards
- Wider reach. Job boards give employers the ability to reach more potential candidates increasing their chances of recruiting successfully.
- Fast hiring. Automation of the recruitment process by job boards makes the process of hiring a lot faster.
- Reduced hiring costs. It costs less to post on job boards as compared to using recruitment agencies or advertising for jobs in newspapers.
- Convenience. Job boards provide several tools that make it convenient to list jobs, search for potential candidates, and receive and review applications.
- Vast skills pool. Job boards give recruiters access to vast skills pools making it possible to recruit even for the most niche skill sets.
Reasons why job seekers should use job boards
- Automated job notifications. Job boards will automatically notify you when new jobs that are of interest to you are posted saving you the trouble of searching manually.
- Employers can find you. Employers can search and find you based on your skills and invite you to apply for work.
- Many job listings. Job boards give you access to numerous job listings which increases your chances of finding what you want.
- Help finding a job. Most job boards will provide professional advice to help you be more employable such as tips on cover letter and resume writing, and tips for taking interviews.
- Unlimited job applications. You can apply to as many jobs as you wish using one CV when using a job board which increases your chances of finding a job.
10 Reasons Why Job Boards Are Better Than Newspapers For Advertising Your job
Job boards are quickly replacing newspapers as the preferred platform for advertising job openings, here are the reasons why:
- Wider reach. Unlike newspapers that are limited to specific geographic areas, job boards can be accessed from anywhere in the world.
- Reduced cost. Posting on a job website is a lot cheaper than running a job ad on a newspaper for extended periods of time.
- Flexibility. Unlike newspapers, job boards allow you to post and take down job postings whenever you want.
- Time savings. It only takes a few minutes to post a job ad while it could take days before you get a newspaper to run your ad.
- More details. There is no limit to the number of words you can use on a job board ad; space, however, comes at a premium on newspapers.
- Easy modification. You can modify job ads on job boards instantly while it will require you to run another ad to modify a newspaper job ad.
- High response rate. You will get more responses through job ads than newspapers as fewer people read them anymore – especially the younger generations.
- Direct applications. Job boards give potential candidates the ability to apply directly from the site while they’d have to use other channels to respond to newspaper ads.
- Additional services. Job boards also bundle in other services such as the ability to manage job ads, manage applications and search for candidates while newspapers do not.
- Convenience. Job boards generally offer more convenience as compared to newspapers due to all the added features making the recruitment process easier for both recruiters and job seekers.
10 Features You Want Your Job Posting Website To have
Although each job posting website will come with its own distinctive features, there’re a few important ones that you should look out for when selecting a job website to register on as they will enhance your experience by making your job easier.
Important job posting website features for candidates
- Job search. This feature allows you to search for available jobs using keywords.
- Search filters. With this feature, you can narrow down your search results using parameters such as location, industry and the date the ads were posted among others.
- Job wish list. This enables you to browse multiple jobs and put them on a wish list so that you can apply at a later time.
- Job alerts. This feature alerts you through email whenever a new job that matches your criteria is posted on the job website.
- Multiple resumes. This feature enables you to create many resumes on the job board so as to increase your chances of landing a job.
Important job posting website features for recruiters
- Company profile page. This enables you to create a profile page for your company that includes your logo, images, videos and a description of your company.
- Profile/resume search. With this feature, you can search the job website for candidates that have the qualifications you are looking for.
- Employer dashboard. Here you will have all the tools you need to manage your jobs, view stats, view applications and manage your profile settings.
- Social media integration. This enables you to automatically post your vacancies to the various social media platforms.
- Filter questions. With this feature, you can add several Yes/No questions to your posting to help you sort out and filter applications.
Labour Hire Companies
(Labour Hire Information Sourced from Blue Collar People)
10 Benefits of Labour Hire
There’re a number of benefits for using labour hire for your temporary and long-term labour needs. These include:
- Reduced recruitment costs. Since you’ll basically be outsourcing the recruitment function to your labour hire agency, recruiting workers will be significantly cheaper.
- Reduced overheads. The ability to reduce your workforce when there isn’t a lot of work will help you keep your overheads low.
- Reduced downtime. Labour hire will provide you with temps quickly to help minimise downtimes caused by labour shortages.
- Expertise and experience. Labour hire will help you bring in the expertise you require for certain projects without the need to hire permanently or train your own staff.
- Specialised recruitment. Candidates provided to you will be screened using an advanced recruitment process to ensure they are good matches.
- Employee wellness. By using labour hire, you can ensure your employees maintain a healthy work-life balance for a happier workforce.
- Large skills pools. Thanks to the large databases of labour hire companies, you have an army of workers with various skills on standby ready to report to work when you need them.
- Job sharing. You can divide one job between two labour hire temps to ensure the worker undertaking a certain sensitive role is always alert.
- Workforce solution. You can get an entire workforce for a project through labour hire with all the skills and expertise you require.
- Guaranteed results. If a labour hire temp does not perform as expected, you can just request for a replacement from your labour hire company.
10 Questions To Ask Your Labour Hire Agency
If you’re an employer looking to get workers through a labour hire firm, there’re a couple of questions you need to ask before you get into an arrangement with the labour hire agency in question. These will ensure that there are no surprises later in the relationship and that you get exactly what you are looking for. The questions are:
- Which safety measures do you have in place to protect your workers?
- What is your candidate recruitment process?
- How often do you communicate with your clients and by which channels?
- Do you follow up on the progress of candidates once you have placed them with a client?
- Are you compliant with all the labour laws?
- How much do you charge and will I be paying the temp directly?
- What will happen if I am not satisfied with the performance of the on-hired worker you provided me with?
- What happens if I would like to hire the on-hired worker permanently in my organisation?
- How much notice do I need to give beforehand for a temp to be provided to my business?
- Which employer obligations will be covered by your agency for the temps you provide?
Looking for a labour hire company? Visit Blue Collar People.